Pages

Saturday, October 13, 2012

Raining Through My Car

It's raining! I woke up to the sound last night as I was falling asleep. I love the sound of the rain as it lands on my roof, the asphalt, the trees and the grass, wetting everything without preference. I thought of my car parked outside and the water running down the rear windshield and through a small leak in the trunk. I wedged a jar in the exact spot the water drips down. Every so often it fills up and I have to empty it out (kinda gross?) and then I put it right back in its place. But it rained all night and is still
raining this morning and I'm sure the jar is overflowing. I know I need to fix it but I have to let it dry before I do. Then when it's dry I think, "okay, I've got a couple of days to fix this thing. I'll go get epoxy soon and patch it up." But it rains again. Ha! Common story for me.

Every day since Rachel and I moved from San Diego, California to Grand Haven, Michigan has been a new rhythm for me. I am constantly adjusting to a new culture, new people, new roads, new weather, new purpose. What I do know is that God is giving me a forced sabbath for this time. How long will it last? What am I supposed to do with my time? I don't know when the rain is coming or going. I am driven into the mercy of God. There is not much I have control over right now, so sometimes I feel stupid, vulnerable, or slow. Although other times I feel alive, adventurous, and full of wonder and beauty. It's both/and, a wonderful tension that I have learned to lean into and embrace as a beloved child of a God who tells me, "do not worry about your life."

Through this blog, I'll be practicing watchfulness and observation of things that God shows me and places He leads me. I'll be listening to God's voice and what he is telling me. And I will practice being - being loved by Him and letting that be enough for me.

God is alive and speaking all the time. By paying closer attention, by setting my jar out in the rain, I hope my eyes and ears get better at seeing and hearing God in the midst of all of the simple things of life.

That's what this blog will be about. Present observations of a mighty God in ordinary life as I embark on a journey alongside Him. 

No comments:

Post a Comment