Pages

Thursday, October 25, 2012

Thunder and Rain

As I am writing I hear thunder to the south and west of our house in Grand Haven. It's coming up over the lake and passing overhead, drawing with it the rain. Apparently a cold front has been crossing the continent in this direction; it was in Colorado yesterday and today it is colliding with the warm weather we've been having, producing thunder and rain. I love feeling the crack and rumble and then listening as rain comes over everything.

Also coming from Colorado today was Hugh Halter, who led a conversation among church leaders on the topic of becoming missionaries in our context. It really comes down to allowing the gospel to
wreck our lives (loose our grip on people-pleasing and money) and entering into simple, Christ-like relationships with others and God. Reflecting on what I learned, I am filled with thunderous ideas and hopes for my community and me. But I'm also filled with anxiety. God has spoken and given me imagination to live differently, so how do I respond? What if I fail? What if I try my best and nothing happens? But then I ask other questions: what kind of life do Rachel and I want? Are we ready to lay our very lives down for the kingdom of God? Is it worth it?

When I got home I sat down for my daily Bible reading. About half way through First Timothy I heard the sound of my neighbors chatting outside. I quickly grabbed a plate of cookies, walked through my backyard, and greeted them on their back porch. I gave them cookies and learned more about their lives. How Matt is working the night shift six days a week, how Mary is running into obstacles renewing her registration as a nurse, how their uncle was recently diagnosed with stage four lung cancer, how they are barely making ends meet. Although most of it was sad news to hear, I had deep joy knowing God was there in our midst.

The cold front is sweeping over now, the thunder is directly overhead, and the same God that brought the thunder is also the one who brings the rain.

No comments:

Post a Comment