Pages

Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Determined, Specific and Gentle

Dr. Levi Pulver* welcomed me into his office today for my first chiropractic adjustment. As a new patient, he scheduled an extra long visit in order to do some preliminary tests. He had me stand against a grid on a wall to assess my posture, marking the alignment of my ears, shoulders and hips. He tested my range of motion.

Then it got really interesting**. He tested the strength of different muscles by applying resistance. He had me hold my hands on certain places on my chest and then tested my strength again. In some positions, my strength was clearly reduced. Apparently, a drop in strength signifies an interference with a specific nerve. After a short series of a few of these tests, Dr. Levi said that it looked like I had some interference with a specific vertebra on the left side of my neck and a suture on the right side of
my head. With determination, specificity and gentleness, he set to adjusting the two areas that needed help, intermittently testing to make sure he was effective.

I am intrigued and amazed at how clearly he could read my body to determine exactly how to help me. He didn't even touch my back before he moved directly into the area that needed help. I laughed that he could read my body better than I could. And to think that God knows me so much better than that! In fact, if I imagine God as my chiropractor, I come to Him and lay myself on His table. I trust Him to know exactly what part of me needs help. God doesn't mess around. He doesn't give me a back rub and a lollipop and schedule me for our next feel-good appointment. God is determined, specific, and gentle. He goes right for the center of my disorder, the center of my pain, and works to realign me according to His original design. I see the same determination in Levi, and I believe that comes from God, that his work is inspired by God. I'm in good hands. 



*Levi is in my small group at church, so I knew him personally already. He's an amazing person. He runs his own chiropractic office, has run eleven marathons, works out every day, is committed to taking classes to further his chiropractic skill as well as his business, is getting married this Saturday, loves God and is a genuine, caring, smart guy! As I have been looking for a job he has been extremely helpful to me, providing me with resources and connections. I'm definitely thankful for his friendship.

**Forgive me for nerding-out in this paragraph. 

No comments:

Post a Comment