Pages

Friday, October 19, 2012

Glad You Were Born


Calvin and I just chilling at the beach in NorCal.
Today I celebrate my best friend on his birthday. Calvin was born December 19, 1988 in northern California into a great family. When I was 2, my family moved into the area and our moms became good friends. I remember play dates with Calvin as toddlers. My brother Connor and I would go over to visit Calvin and Jeff and play for hours: treehouse, board games, video games, capture the flag, hide and go seek, movie making, and Risk™ (the former included a large splinter for me that Calvin's mom retrieved. The latter included fist fights between Calvin and Jeff).
Calvin was not only a childhood friend. When my family moved to southern California, Calvin remained a faithful friend to me. We've
embarked on numerous road trips, backpacking excursions and bachelor parties. We've built things together, planted things together, celebrated graduations together and been groomsmen for one another's weddings. I have shared so much good life with this man and I am so glad that he was born. Here are some of the ways I see God in Calvin:
Calvin, Connor and I the day I got my masters degree!
  1. Calvin is faithful. When he says he will do something, he follows through with thoughtfulness and dedication.
  2. Calvin loves God's Word. I probably pick up the most conviction and excitement in Calvin's voice when he is talking about his wife or scripture. Calvin desires to know God and finds God in his Word in a unique way.
  3. Calvin has a great sense of humor. I describe it as "nothing sacred". He's got a great laugh and does so often. 
  4. Calvin is a wonderful listener. Not only does he ask good questions, but he often summarizes what he just heard to let you know he really cares about understanding the other person.
  5. Calvin is multifaceted. I joke with him all the time about this, but I actually look up to Calvin in this way. Calvin picks up hobbies like a magnet. From ultimate frisbee to banjo to rock climbing to board games, Calvin loves to learn new things and does surprisingly well at them.
Calvin, if you are reading this, HAPPY BIRTHDAY. I am so thankful for you in my life.

1 comment:

  1. Jono, if you are reading this, I know I didn't write a blog post about you on Monday. I still love you. I'll get you next year and leave Calvin out. :)

    ReplyDelete