Pages

Saturday, November 10, 2012

How Do I Begin?

I have the best friends in the world.

How do I even begin to describe them?

Today they were all together in my brother's living room in California and they called me on FaceTime to say hello. I was passed around and got to see all of their faces and I was reminded again of how special these people are to me. Here is a teeny tiny snippet of what I love about each one:

Connor is my identical twin brother, my genetic match, my lifelong companion. He understands me like nobody else. Sometimes when we're with our wives, Connor and I will start laughing about something that to us is unbelievably funny. Rachel and Sherianne just look at one another, puzzled. Connor is a believer, an encourager, a relator. Connor is incredibly intuitive, wise, insightful and understanding. Connor is the kind of person who will stick it out with you until the very end. He is the best brother I could have EVER asked for.

Sherianne is tender and go-with-the-flow but also resilient and intelligent. She's the kind of person you hope to find in a nook reading a novel. I love her goofy laugh and that sometimes it gets the best of her. You can tell that she thinks things through, that she's been wanting to ask you this one question and she really wants to hear your response. She's a great mother to her son.

The five of us backpacking in Ansel Adams Wilderness
Jono is an adventurer, a teacher, an inspirer, a protector. You want him as your friend. I have been in many situations with Jono in which, if I wasn't with him, I would be backing down. But Jono has a way of instilling courage in people, enabling them to go farther than they thought they could. He's up for anything at any time, especially if it involves something contrary to social
norms. He is surprising and has a fierce love for people.

All celebrating on our wedding day in Michigan
Calvin is a learner, a discerner, one who with wit and humor accepts the oddities of life, laughing them off and considering them at the same time. Calvin loves to savor things and try to articulate exactly what it is he enjoys about people, scripture passages, experiences, food or beer.*

Kenzie is a great match for Calvin. They share the same sense of humor. She can laugh with you about something and then seamlessly switch gears to find out exactly how you're doing. She is assuring. She cares about others in a way that is not mushy, but is real and down-to-earth.

David is painstakingly contemplative, a poet, a wonderer. David takes everything in quietly and lets it steep in his warm heart. Anything that is toxic, David gracefully removes, but everything that is good he soaks in and lets it change him slowly. David is pensive and mighty. He looks you in the eye and you can't help but to feel the overwhelming peace that you are completely heard and understood.

Keri enjoys. She considers people to be extremely valuable and important, even down to the smallest detail or seemingly insignificant story. She asks and listens and is so amazed at people. She is in awe of God, of the people in her life, especially David. But she isn't totally soft either. She's got some crazy mean dance skills too.


I see Christ in each of these people. It warms my heart to know they were together. God has used these people uniquely to shape me into the person I am today. I am encouraged by them to be myself, to follow Christ, and to love my wife. I am blessed by these people and I am so thankful for them.



*More on what I love about Calvin in my post "Glad You Were Born"

1 comment:

  1. Brendan is so thoughtful in taking time to write this post! The way he articulates each friend shows such care and love. I have always appreciated his intentionality, encouragement, and exhortation towards others. He sees uniqueness in people and celebrates them there. He is fully present with people, circumstances, and with the Lord--where ever He is meeting him. Having him as a friend, through David, has meant so much to me. His friendship has influenced my life and he is definitely loved by the Lippmans :) -Keri

    ReplyDelete