Pages

Friday, January 18, 2013

Not Microscopic (visible!)

I pulled up onto the driveway today, all the way until our back lawn starts. I turned off the car, was about to get out, but was frozen by the snowflakes on my window. One by one, they landed lightly on the cold window without melting. My eyes strained as I focused on their tiny detail.

I always knew snowflakes were unique, that each had a pattern. But until today I thought the
pattern was only visible on a microscopic level. But as I looked closer, I could actually see the polysymmetrical shape of each little craft cut out in the clouds and floated down as a gift to me! One was tiny, the size of a pinhead, with six little short arrows coming from its center. One was more of a diamond shape, tridents poking in playful defense. Three or four were stuck in a cluster, their individual shapes harder to identify. One was like a star and it was flat up against my window, like a fossil.

I melted back into my seat, breathed, and watched silently as the snow came down all around me. It stacked up on my windshield, all across the back lawn, and on top of telephone wires.

No comments:

Post a Comment