Pages

Tuesday, January 1, 2013

Celebrating the Year

We ran out into the cold, hugged our parents, siblings and best friends, and jumped into our freshly and colorfully decorated get-away car, making sure Rachel's wedding dress was tucked in before shutting the door. As we began driving across the icy pavement, our friends ran alongside the car cheering. In all of the excitement, one groomsman (I won't mention his name*) slipped in front of the headlights, tearing a hole in the rental tux and barely evading an accident! We waved goodbye and we were on our way to downtown Grand Rapids for the night. In the low light of the dashboard we looked at each other, smiling and laughing. What a beautiful day, what a beautiful time in our story. 

Today Rachel and I are in downtown Grand Rapids once again, not only to celebrate 2013, but to
celebrate one year of marriage (plus or minus a day or two). We had a chance to reflect together on the ways we have grown as a couple. 

I am so thankful for my wife. I love the way we experience God's love together as we choose to commit to one another daily. Sometimes it doesn't feel right, it feels like love is your enemy, but love always wins out and proves me foolish for not forfeiting earlier. I've begun to learn I'm so anxious to have things the way I want them, and that if I just let that go, if I decide to give it up and simply be present to what is happening, I become a better listener and I foster a listening and peaceful environment. And we have way more fun together! I've begun to learn that my leadership as a husband often looks like starting the right conversations. It also looks like being a servant, which, in the moment, feels like slavery. But it's not! It's freedom to be able to love my wife. 

I have grown in my understanding of Rachel's beauty. The way she so beautifully empathizes with others is a gift from God. Rachel laughs easily and forgives easily. If Rachel decides to do something, she can do it and do it well. Rachel's humming, singing and dancing lights up our home. Rachel is warm and gentle with strangers and hospitable and caring with friends. She is a loving friend, evidenced by the loving friends that surround her. I am amazed by my wife and I celebrate her. 

Rachel, I am so proud of who you are and for who we are becoming together. This past year, we have seen much change and experienced God's grace together. I am so thankful for you, my wife. As we celebrate our first year of marriage, in God's love, may we celebrate many, many, many more. 



*But his blog, Nothing New Here, is listed to the right, under "links" ->

No comments:

Post a Comment