Pages

Monday, April 18, 2016

The Problem with Diversity

Acts 11:1-18
Psalm 148:1-14
Revelation 21:1-6
John 13:31-35

Over the last decade or so, colleges and universities have been diversifying their student body though affirmative action. My seminary has been doing this as well. In a seminary known for its "Dutch whiteness" I now join in learning with my black and hispanic peers. The psalm for this week celebrates this kind of progress. So does Peter in Acts, embracing his new gentile brothers and sisters.

I've also noticed something else. The introduction of diversity into student bodies has caused an upheaval in administration. They would have preferred that the new influx of diverse students would
have, out of their overflowing gratitude for a place at this traditionally white education program, fallen in line and posed for photos for the website. And yet these students, like every other student, have powerful voice and influence. Just as they fought for equal access to these systems when they were on the outside, now that they are on the inside they are fighting for justice within the system itself.

As I reflect on the story of scripture and God's relentless indictment against those that would seize ownership of God's coming reign, I can't help but feel anxious about stepping into that reign. It would be nice to think of the multi-colored throng all singing in harmony before the throne, but I am now anticipating that so many of my boundaries are going to be demolished. I have so many unconscious boundaries that both define my identity and keep me safe. I would not want to live in that part of town. I would not want have that person over for dinner. I would not want my kid to turn out like that person. And yet, God promises, in heaven I will share space with these very same people.

But it goes further. It's not only that I will share space with these people some day after I die, once everyone has been "sanitized" and nobody cares about difference anymore. The psalm ushers the vision of the future into the present so that today is the day of discomfort. Today is the day of boundary toppling. Today is the day my personal space is invaded.

Even as I write this, I am aware of how detached this feels from my experience. I have already made so many choices that affirm my notions of who is in and who is out so that my life feels pretty safe, pretty homogenous, pretty comfortable. I find myself surrounded mostly by people who look like me and believe what I believe. For what kind of kingdom am I grooming myself? God forgive me for my narrow vision of your blessing to the exclusion of others. May I grow in grace to include, to expand, to love my neighbor, a command that now really feels like a command!





After further consideration:

-I imagine what is going on in me is but a microcosm of what our country is going through. Much language has been spent on the immigration crisis in recent political dialogue, especially in the presidential race.

-What about the refugee crisis?

-Theology is particular and contextual. How will our theology have to change as we incorporate the voices and experience of those who do not share the theological perspectives of white european western males? Are our churches ready for this?

No comments:

Post a Comment