Pages

Tuesday, May 28, 2013

When I'm Out of Flyers

I walked up the creaky, overgrown steps to a high floppy porch and gently rapped the wooden door. I was making sure my feet were planted on secure footing when a kid opened the door and left it open as he returned to his video games. Rose looked up from her desk, gave a warm "hi" and asked how I was doing. I waited on the threshold ten minutes like that before Mark emerged from their downstairs, obviously having just thrown on his clothes, a hat and his coffee mug. I was happy to see him. We've only met a couple of times but it seems like more than that. We walked down his front steps and began our mission with the first door to his right.

(Over the past two whole seasons, Rachel and I have been trying to love our neighbors. We've initiated, learned names, prayed, invited, served, raised funds, asked questions, listened, remained present, and tried to deepen relationships in hopes of opening a
door for the gospel. Not to say that nothing has worked. I'm just tired. One-on-one evangelism (loving people unlike you in Jesus' name) is like planting a seed on packed trail that keeps getting trampled. It's like driving a nail through a knot. It's like that hot summer day I cracked the spikes of three jackhammers trying to break up a double slab. Ugh. 

I can't do it. Rachel and I can't do it - not alone at least. "The harvest is plentiful, but the workers are few. Ask the Lord of the harvest, therefore, to send out workers into his harvest field." (Luke 10:2))

"Hi, I'm Brendan and this is Mark. We're your neighbors. We're having a block party* Saturday and you're invited. We noticed a lot of people don't know each other and this would be a great way to come out and get to know one another, to help make this neighborhood a better place," we said to each person on our block, handing them a little half-sheet flyer. 

"O yeah, we need that"
"Sure, I'll come."
"Get out of here! Beat it! GO!!"
"Yes, thank you for inviting us."
"_____" (nobody home)
"Well, I'll be gone all week. Might be back in time, we'll see."

Some houses I was scared to walk close to. Some people were surprisingly friendly. Some had missing teeth. Except for the "beat it" guy, everyone seemed to like the idea**.

We were a little more than half way done when we ran out of flyers. We walked back to his house, empty-handed.

"Mark, thank you so much for coming with me today. It made a big difference for me. I couldn't have done it without you," I said, shaking his hand.

"Any time," Mark replied, making eye contact. "Call me up again this week and we'll finish it. Any time you need anything, let me know."

As I walked back home, I thought about printing more flyers and finishing the job myself. No way. 

Thank you, God.



*The party could be a total failure. I've had visions of fights breaking out and the cops being called and my utopian fantasies popped. Although sad, that would be fine. Although I tend to be optimistic, I'm not banking on 2 hours of corn hole and hotdogs to lead to the widespread confession and salvation of sinners. The good news I am celebrating here is the divine providence that there is ONE PERSON on my block who cares enough to do something about it besides me. Even typing that helps me breathe easier. 

**To be fair, Jack yelled us off his property before he could hear the idea. Given the chance, he may have liked it too. 

1 comment:

  1. All it takes is one...I am glad you are stepping out to make the connections, Brendan!

    ReplyDelete