Pages

Friday, October 11, 2013

Things I Touch

I don't remember much about my run yesterday. That is, as I reflect on it, most of what I remember was that I was listening to Robbie Seay and testing out a new App called Strava that tracks my stats live through my new iPhone. Until yesterday, running had been for me a time of silence and breathing, rhythm and pulsing, getting lost, surfacing thoughts, observing the season, and approaching my Maker. It's amazing how two electric earbuds can take all that away.

Removing earbuds is an easy fix (that I shall remedy on my next run). However...
Before entering this new rhythm of school plus ministry, my hands were touching things like diced peppers, freshly jointed oak, broken soil and my neighbor's football. When I touched them I found God in them. I learned with my body and through my hands that God is present in the ordinary. He had to be. But now, in my new rhythm of school plus ministry, my hands touch papers, keyboards, cell phones and books: "body-buds". Where is God now?

It is my turn to share at the high school boys' prayer request circle and I am dumbfounded. It's like when I look for my misplaced keys, even feeling the empty dresser with my palm to make sure I'm not delusional. I have almost nothing to say except, "Uh, yeah... it was ... good, I think."

No comments:

Post a Comment